Industry & Economy
Global manufacturing exports and energy-related activity are the fundamental reasons for Kitimat's significant economic output on the north coast of BC. In high market years Kitimat has contributed up to 11% of BC's manufacturing GDP. Growth prospects for Kitimat and Kitimat Valley are strong. For a summary of recently completed and proposed projects see Invest in Kitimat: Major Projects.
The following document provides a comprehensive statistical profile of Kitimat. Contact Kitimat's Economic Development Department if you require more information. Additional statistical publications are available under the Residents section of this website.
Global Advantages of Kitimat and Kitimat Valley
Kitimat has unique natural competitive advantages which include:
- Asia Pacific location on the great-circle shipping route
- Industrial tracts of land at tidewater and in adjacent valley
- Proponents build, own, and operate or share facilities
- Gateway to/from continental North America
- High manufacturing performance
- Municipality has low debt and no development cost charges
- Skilled labour force
- Education and training resources
- Pacific coast lifestyle
Go to Top