Secondary Suites

Secondary suites are a cost-effective way to provide affordable rental housing. Kitimat's Secondary Suite Handout provides detailed information about how you can add a secondary suite.

Can I build a secondary suite in my house?

Secondary suites are allowed in the following zones: R2-A, R2-B, G3, G3-A, G3-B, G3-C, and G5-A. This covers approximately 1360 lots or 66% of Kitimat's single family properties.

Kitimat's Townsite Zoning Map will help you identify the zoning of your property.

How do I apply to build a secondary suite?

Building permit applications are available under Engineering and Building Departments on this page, or you can fill one out at our office at 270 City Centre on the third floor in City Centre Mall. A building permit is required for all modifications that will occur. 

A building inspector will visit your home to review the proposed secondary suite. A $25.00 fee applies to inspect and register the suite.

Secondary suites are required to have:

  • Secondary entrance/exit (direct and independent exit or common and shared)
  • 30-minutes fire separation
  • Smoke alarm
  • Separate forced air circulation (each dwelling unit must have a furnace or separate electric heat).

Secondary suite incentive program

Make a suite available for rent over the next five years and you may be eligible for a five-year forgivable loan. A housing agreement with the District of Kitimat will be required.

  • Up to $2,500 for any suite; or
  • Up to $5,000 if suite is rented at or below Level 1 Affordable; or
  • Up to $7,500 if suite is rented at or below Level 2 Affordable; and/or
  • $2,500 bonus if suite is accessible

Frequently Asked Questions

Secondary Suite Incentive Program Application

For more information on secondary suites, contact the Building department by email or call 250-632-8900.

Contact Us