Alternative Approval Process


Haisla Bridge Park Closing and Exchange Bylaw No. 1990, 2020

Pursuant to sections 86 and 94 of the Community Charter, notice is hereby given to advise electors in the District of Kitimat of the intention to adopt “Haisla Bridge Park Closing and Exchange Bylaw No. 1990, 2020”.  The bylaw proposes to close, exchange and dispose of a portion of Kitimat River parkland dedicated by Plan 12071, generally in accordance with Plan EPP105785. This closure will facilitate the rebuilding of the Haisla Bridge crossing on Haisla Boulevard. The preferred alignment of the new bridge pier requires adjusting the location of the existing park.  Except for the placement of a new pier to support the bridge, and the addition of lands accreted from the Kitimat River, the existing park will not physically change.

For more information, please contact the District of Kitimat at 250-632-8900 or by email.

At the October 5, 2020 Regular Council Meeting, an Alternative Approval Process Policy was adopted.

What is an Alternative Approval Process (AAP)?

An Alternative Approval Process, or AAP, is one method of obtaining elector approval on local government bylaws or agreements that require the approval of the electors. The most common examples of local governments using an AAP is for long-term borrowing.

How Does it Work?

The AAP is like a reverse-referendum, where a person submits a response to the District of Kitimat only if they are opposed to the purpose of the bylaw. The response period of a minimum of 30 days will be established by Council. Elector Response Forms will be available at the District of Kitimat municipal office or here on our website during an AAP.

Who can participate in the Alternative Approval Process?

In general you are eligible to participate if you:

  • are a Canadian citizen
  • are 18 years of age or older
  • have lived in BC for at least six months
  • are a resident of the District of Kitimat (or own property in the District of Kitimat) for at least 30 days, and
  • are not disqualified from voting

Corporations cannot participate.

If you have any questions about eligibility, please contact Corporate Administration at 250- 632-8900 or email us.

Why does the District of Kitimat need public approval?

The Community Charter establishes which types of bylaws must receive elector approval before adoption.

Why isn’t the District of Kitimat using a referendum (assent vote) to obtain public approval?

A referendum and an alternative approval process are the available options for obtaining voter assent. The District of Kitimat Council decides which of the methods will be used to obtain voter approval. Referendums are far more costly and complex than an APP. If the AAP fails to provide elector support, the bylaw cannot be adopted without going to referendum.

Will electronically submitted elector response forms be accepted?

No. At this time, original elector response forms are accepted only by mail or personal delivery to the District of Kitimat municipal office, 270 City Centre, Kitimat, BC V8C 2H7.

Can an elector response form be withdrawn once it has been submitted?

Yes. An elector response form may be withdrawn at any time up to the deadline for response. The request must be made in person or in writing and contain sufficient information to identify the elector. The request must be made by the person who submitted the elector response form.

Who do I contact for more information on the Alternative Approval Process?

Questions about the process can be directed to Corporate Administration at 250-632-8900 or via email.

Contact Us